- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Ground Beef and Barley Soup
Sort By :
"My family loved it. prepared it exactly is a recipe directs. My wife is not crazy about soup but she absolutely loves this one. It has so much flavor."
"How about some measurements on the celery, onions and carrots? Ihave no idea how big medium is and celery ribs are different sizes. Weight would be good. But use a tape measure if you can't use or read a scale."
"It was delicious!"
"Very good! My husband and 1-year-old daughter love it!"
"This was a a pretty good soup. No complaint from the family. It was really easy to make. I used ground turkey instead of beef and added some frozen peas and a zuchini I had on hand. I would make this again."