- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons mayonnaise for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; cool. In a large bowl, combine the cheeses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, cayenne, mushroom mixture and remaining mayonnaise. Spread 1/3 cup on six slices of bread
- In a large skillet or griddle, melt 2-3 tablespoons butter. Toast sandwiches until bread is lightly browned on both sides and cheese is melted, adding butter if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Blue Cheese Sandwiches in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p85
Reviews for Grilled Blue Cheese Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2013
"Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich! Only thing we left out were the mushrooms. Creamy and full of flavor, what a great deviation from the traditional grilled cheese."