- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon yellow or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons mayonnaise for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; cool. In a large bowl, combine the cheeses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, cayenne, mushroom mixture and remaining mayonnaise. Spread 1/3 cup on six slices of bread
- In a large skillet or griddle, melt 2-3 tablespoons butter. Toast sandwiches until bread is lightly browned on both sides and cheese is melted, adding butter if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Blue Cheese Sandwiches in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p85
Reviews for Grilled Blue Cheese Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2013
Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich! Only thing we left out were the mushrooms. Creamy and full of flavor, what a great deviation from the traditional grilled cheese.