- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups pink grapefruit juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in grapefruit juice and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a 1/2 cup of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and extract. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Grapefruit Meringue Pie
Sort By :
"I meant to write ... so I halved the quantities OF SUGAR ....."
"Here in England we don't have grapefruit growing out of doors - so mine came from the supermarket.The recipe as given is too sweet for English tastes (unless you have particularly sour fruit) so I halved the quantities and it was just right.Make sure you pour the filling into the pastry case as soon as the butter has melted or the mixture will start to set in the pan!"
"This was unusual but very good (if you like grapefruit). It's just like a lemon meringue pie but with grapefruit. Try it!"
" We live in the heart of the Rio Grande Valley in the wintertime and have tons of citrus trees all over our properties. So much that we, and the neighbors, can't GIVE IT ALL AWAY ! Here is our version of Grapefruit Pie:
3 grapefruit, sectioned and cut in thirds
1/3 c sugar----mix together and set aside til sugar is dissolved
3 T cornstarch
Â½ c sugar
Â½ box strawberry Jello (3 oz size)
1 c water
Cook juice/water (enough to make 1 cup liquid total) and cornstarch, sugar and Jello til clear. Let cool and then add grapefruit sections.
Put in baked pie shell, chill and top with whipped cream.
Note: 3 T = Â½ box Jello Use regular, not sugarfree