My mother made these hearty meatballs when we were growing up, and now my kids love them, too. My daughter likes to help shake the meatballs in flour. —Karin Ness, Big Lake, Minnesota
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Mix first four ingredients. Add beef and sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls; toss with 1/4 cup flour, coating lightly.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meatballs are cooked through, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove meatballs with a slotted spoon. Mix the remaining flour and broth until smooth; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Return meatballs to pan; heat through. Serve with mashed potatoes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Swedish Meatballs in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016
Reviews for Grandma's Swedish Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review