Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 16 servings
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash white pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion and seasonings. Let stand until crumbs absorb milk. Add meat; stir until well blended. Shape into 1-in. meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° until browned, about 18 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Set aside.
- For gravy, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and brown lightly. Slowly add broth; cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Blend in the cream, cayenne and white pepper. Gently stir in meatballs; heat through but do not boil.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 255 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein.
Dec 13, 2017
Huge hit! I made this for my Daughters of Norway Jul Fest. Everyone loved them. I only used a couple dashes of pepper as I'm not a pepper fan. You actually need two jelly roll pans and even then they will be packed. I would try 17 minutes as one pan got a little over done.
Oct 19, 2017
Delicious over noodles! Time consuming but worth it.
Jul 2, 2017
These are soooo good!! We've fixed them many times and everyone loves them!!
May 21, 2016
Very good meatballs! Made them for Norwegian Independence Day. Big hit!
Nov 29, 2015
Im 17 and I made these meatballs for a school project for the first time. They are amazing.
Apr 3, 2014
These are so much better than Swedish Meatball. I think it is the gravy. I made 1 day ahead and then re-heated with gravy.
Jun 13, 2012
I've made this recipe several times....it is fantastic! I love the spices in it, makes the meatballs very different from Italian style with garlic, basil, etc. I don't add the milk, but that's the only thing I omit from the original recipe.
Dec 25, 2010
My grandmother always made Norwegian/Swedish meatballs every Christmas. Her recipe was lost, I found this one and it became the family tradition. Very good, you will be asked for the recipe if served to others.
Oct 21, 2008
My husband and three kids loved the norwegian meatballs. I served them with the gravy poured over mashed potatoes and a side of red pickeled cabage. Use real butter and real cream for best flavor,Yumm! I also used rounded spoonfuls on the seasonings because my family usually likes foods with a little extra flavor.
Jan 23, 2008
This wasn't horrible, but wasn't good enough I'd make again. It just didn't have enough flavor for me. The meatballs were okay, not amazing, but not horrible.