Swedish Dill Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 °. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, bread crumbs and seasonings; set aside. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until soft; add to egg mixture. Add beef and ground pork; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape meat mixture into 1-1/4-in. to 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from oven and place in a 3-qt. baking dish.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; stir in cream, dill, salt and pepper. If a thicker sauce is desired, continue cooking 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Garnish with fresh dill if desired.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 457 calories, 34g fat (18g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 14, 2016
I was very happy to find this recipe. My grandma used to add dill to her meatballs, & they tasted just like these!
Jul 28, 2016
What a tasty dish! The sauce really makes it flavorful, although the meatballs by themselves were savory. Thank you for this recipe.
Feb 21, 2013
These meatballs were awesome!!! Truely authentic tasting easily made even my picky children asked for seconds. I make these at least twice a month so I now double the recipie put one in freeze to thaw heat and eat at later date. Thank you for this great recipie the dill is what truly makes this meal!!
Mar 7, 2012
This dish is AWESOME, the flavour is so good. I make the full meatball recipe, cook them and freeze them for fast meal prep. Last night I made the sauce with half and half rather than heavy whipping cream and the flavour, I believe, was not affected.UPDATE JUNE 2014 - I made this dish for work, doubling it, as I cook for a hot lunch program at a small town grocery store and they were a HIT. Everyone who tried them that I talked to loved them!
Jan 28, 2012
Delicious!! I made it as per recipe and the flavor was wonderful. Great was to cook the meatballs.
Oct 10, 2011
Meatballs have a great flavor!
May 3, 2011
I got about 4 dozen meatballs out of this, so I froze most of them for future use and prepared a half recipe of the sauce for the rest. YUMMY!!! I didn't change anything in the recipe with the sauce or meatballs. If you love dill, this is subtle and wonderful, you can tell it's there but it's not overpowering.
Dec 26, 2010
These meatballs were wonderful! I've learned to mix all ingredients well and then carefully mix in the bread crumbs. This way my meatballs are no longer as hard a hockey pucks. I'm going to leave out the dill next time. Wonderful meatballs! Thank you for sharing!
Sep 26, 2010
Fabulous. I also made it with frozen italianmeat balls, raves from everyone
Oct 6, 2009
We loved this recipe sreved over noodles. And the leftovers reheat very well
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.