- 6 pounds medium red potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes; cool completely.
- For dressing, in the top of a double boiler or metal bowl over barely simmering water, heat water, butter and vinegar until butter is melted. In a small bowl, beat eggs; add sugar and cornstarch. Add to butter mixture; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Stir Miracle Whip into cooled dressing mixture; fold in whipped cream. Stir in onion, green onions, salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss lightly to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- To serve, top with hard-cooked eggs; sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 24 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Grandma's Potato Salad
Sort By :
"This is DELISH! Takes a while to make but its worth it!!"
"We all loved this creamy potato salad, the whipping cream was the difference!!"
"Grandma never used any of these recipes... brown sugar! Whipping cream! Red wine vinegar!!! N ever!!"
"I didn't actually try this recipe. My sister did, and she isn't a very good cook, so she didn't know the difference. The ingredients alone should give you a clue. It was awful! This is absolutely NOT grandma's potato salad."
"I haven't made it. If I did, I would certainly leave out 99% of the sugar."