Grandma's Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2-1/4 quarts cold water
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the chicken, water, bouillon, peppercorns and cloves in a stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Strain broth; return to stock pot.
- Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and skin and cut chicken into chunks. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- Return chicken to stockpot with soups, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover; increase heat to a gentle boil. Discard bay leaf.
- For dumplings, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in egg, butter and enough milk to make a moist stiff batter. Drop by teaspoonfuls into soup. Cover and cook without lifting the lid for 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Grandma's Chicken 'n' Dumpling Soup(14)
Sort By :
Wow! This recipe is a keeper! The dumplings were delicious.
Just had this soup for lunch my husband and I liked it a lot it's a keeper!!!!
I think I could live on soups in the cool seasons and this might be the best I've tried! It was so good I had it again for breakfast because I couldn't get it out of my mind. I followed the recipe but added extra chicken breasts to make it a heartier main dish. I also added a good squirt of lemon for a little extra zing. This will become a staple in my recipe box.
My sister and I have been looking for the perfect dumpling recipe. I had to fight the urge to throw in an egg. Thank goodness I didn't.......... these were perfect!
best chicken soup EVER!!!!!!!!!! def worth the time if ur trying to impress!!