- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, horseradish and bread crumbs. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; add the meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Glazed Meatballs
"These meatballs are really quite tasty! This is a recipe I had marked to try when it first appeared in the magazine, but somehow never got around to doing so until recently (probably because I kept forgetting to buy the horseradish--lol). I will admit to having had concerns about the amount of allspice---it seemed like a lot, so I started with half as much of it as I made the sauce, then kept adding until I was at the 1 1/2 teaspoons. I would recommend doing this, as personal tastes vary. I also recommend making these the day before you need them. I tasted one shortly after cooking them, and I had some doubt, so I refrigerated them and they were so much better the next evening. I think the flavors needed to mellow. I'm not sure how to accurately describe the glaze, as it is different---similar to a barbecue sauce, but without the acid "whang" of some BBQ sauces. I served this recipe with home made scalloped potatoes and steamed corn. I also added a little Mrs. Dash to the meatball mixture. Everyone in the family gave this a "thumbs up". I will make these again."