Orange-Glazed Chicken & Chorizo Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup corn bread croutons
- 1-1/4 cups mild picante sauce, divided
- 5 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate, divided
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 6 ounces fresh chorizo
- 1-1/4 cups orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup jalapeno pepper jelly
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled mango
- 2/3 cup pomegranate seeds, divided, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Crush croutons into fine crumbs. Add 1/2 cup picante sauce and 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate; let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro, egg and salt. Crumble chicken and chorizo into crouton mixture; mix well. With wet hands, shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake until a thermometer reads 165°, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together marmalade, pepper jelly, remaining picante sauce and remaining orange juice concentrate. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in mango, 1 tablespoon cilantro and, if desired, 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds. Pour sauce over meatballs. Serve with remaining cilantro and, if desired, pomegranate seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 71 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 10, 2019
Wonderful combination of flavors and textures! I didn't have nor could I find cornbread croutons so I got a large cornbread muffin and crumbled it into very fine crumbs. I also left out the salt and thought if the resulting taste was that it needed salt it could be added to taste. This was my first experience with a pomegranate, too, and ended up wearing a good bit of juices. The chicken/chorizo is a brilliant combination as the flavors compliment each other very well. I served the meatballs with the sauce over pearled rice. By all means, do cook the meatballs on a rack so that the excess fat and juices can run off. The sauce was very simple to prepare and very tasty and the added pomegranate seeds and chopped cilantro provided a perfect finishing touch. I will make this recipe again.