Frightening Fingers Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red decorating gel
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough into fourths. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll into 1-in. balls. Shape balls into 3-in. x 1/2-in. fingers. Using the flat tip of a table knife, make an indentation on one end of each for fingernail. With a knife, make three slashes in the middle of each finger for knuckle.
- Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 3 minutes. Squeeze a small amount of red gel on nail bed; press a sliced almond over gel for nail, allowing gel to ooze around nail. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen cookies.
Reviews for Frightening Fingers(7)
Sort By :
If you break a cookie as I have done, just "glue" it back together with red icing. THe finger looks even scarier.
Do these cookies spread at all?
I, too have made these several times. They are truly a labor of love but well worth it. After they have come out of the oven, I dusted a little bit of cocoa powder on the knuckles which emphasizes the knuckles and kind of makes them look like they're dirty from digging (up from the grave?!)
This is such a fun recipe but after I made the Fingers, I took a little cocoa powder and brushed it in the slashes to make it a little more creepy.
I've made these several times. They are always a huge hit. Kids and adults love them. Thanks for a great recipe. I follow it as is and it's great.