Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Shoestring black licorice, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red-hot candies
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter and egg (dough will be stiff). Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Spread a heaping teaspoonful of frosting over the bottom of half of the cookies. Place four licorice pieces on each side of cookies for spider legs; top with remaining cookies. For eyes, attach two red-hot candies with frosting to top of spider.
Nutrition Facts1 spider: 206 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 5, 2013
SO EASY TO MAKE WITH CAKE MIX. I USED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING IN MINE THO'. WE REALLY LIKED THEM. NEXT TIME, I'LL MAKE A DOUBLE BATCH, BECAUSE 1 IS JUST NOT ENOUGH.
Sep 10, 2013
This was a fun recipe to make for the kids. They loved it.
Sep 29, 2012
a big hit, horribly good!!
Oct 31, 2011
These were a hit at work, but the dough was too dry. A small amount of added water would have helped. I had to flatten the cookies slightly when they came out of the oven, otherwise they would have stayed as round balls.
Oct 31, 2011
super easy i had these all done in a little over an hour! And me little guy is so excited to take them to school! I could only find red licorice as well. I also did m&m minis for the eyes.
Oct 28, 2011
Went to 8 stores and couldn't find black rope licorice. After I was done cutting up regular licoice, I realzied I could have used pretzel sticks.
Oct 19, 2011
So much fun to make! The kids had a blast. Couldn't find black licorice, red worked great.
Nov 3, 2010
These were so much fun to make and were a great addition to the table. I couldn't find shoestring licorice to save my life, but the red legs worked well with the red eyes.
Oct 31, 2010
so simple that even the littlest ghosts and goblins can help
Oct 29, 2010
did not have black licorice - so I rolled out tooties roll. = a little work but worked out great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.