I usually make this dish for brunch, but it's also wonderful for breakfast or dinner. Guests have said it just melts in their mouth.
- 8 to 10 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Brush both sides of bread with butter; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs and yolks. Add milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over the bread slices. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as French Toast Custard in Country December/January 1997, p51
Reviews for French Toast Custard
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review