- 8 to 10 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Brush both sides of bread with butter; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs and yolks. Add milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over the bread slices. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for French Toast Custard
Sort By :
"My first attempt was not successful. However, I will definitely make this again."
"This is a quick-and-simple dish to prepare. I think this French toast custard could be improved with the addition of some fresh fruit."
"imade this when the recipe first appeared.It was fantastic. good for a crowd.I'm glad I found the recipe again."
"This has been a family favorite for many years. It's sweet, so it goes great with a breakfast buffet with other savory dishes."