Fettuccine Carbonara Recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Additional grated Romano cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook fettuccine according to package directions. Drain; return to pan.
- Add onion to drippings in skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in cream. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of warm cream into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook 8-10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, stirring constantly.
- Stir cheese, salt, pepper and bacon into sauce. Add to fettuccine and toss to combine. Sprinkle with parsley and, if desired, additional cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Fettuccine Carbonara(2)
Sort By :
I read the review by annrms before I made this recipe, and I added a tablespoon of oil to the cooking water for the pasta.. this sometimes helps to keep the pasta from absorbing so much of the sauce. Instead of adding more half and half, which I thought would make it too soupy, I added 1/2 cup sour cream. The end result was wonderful. Upon reheating, I added a bit more half and half, and it was perfect, the second time around. As a volunteer field editor, I am happy to recommend this recipe, with the adjustments mentioned.
I made this using whole grain pasta. It is delicious, but after plating, the sauce was totally absorbed into the pasta. Next time I will use a little more half and half.
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Pasta Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Cheese Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >