My mother-in-law is from Italy, so my husband, Bob, grew up eating pasta dishes. I've been preparing this fresh-tasting version for about 8 years. Bob requests it often, and even his mom thinks it's very good. -Mary Kay Morris, Cokato, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add oil and onions to drippings; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in tarragon, salt, pepper and cayenne; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions. Add parsley to the tomato mixture; simmer 5 minutes longer. Stir in bacon. Drain fettuccine; top with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.