- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).
Reviews forFavorite Hamburger Stew
"This is very good! I'll make again!"
"I made this because I had the ingredients on hand and because it looked quick and easy to throw together. I didn't expect 5-star taste--was I wrong! This is delicious comfort food. It was very tasty as made according to directions; I had about half a serving as a taste test and had to go back for another full serving. I would love to see how a few substitutions as suggested by other reviewers might change the dish. beef broth instead of water should give a richer flavor and V-8 would give it a little extra kick as would a bit of garlic. It also is a dish that is very healthy for diabetics and anyone who is carb conscious. Whether made as is or enhanced with other ingredients, this recipe is a keeper for my files!!"
"We loved this stew but did add some garlic and beef broth to it. It was delicious"
"DH made this stew. He made one change in that he used bear meat instead of beef. It is a definite keeper recipe. It's hearty and filling. When he makes soup, chili, or stew he adds some beer or wine replacing some of the liquid. In this case, he used 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup vermouth instead of the 1 cup of water called for. Will make this recipe again!"
"Tried this stew this evening and it was great. Just added a cup of water. Will make it again."
"This is very bland. I have other recipes that are similar but taste better. This is not something I would make again."
"Very basic with the invitation to add broth, red wine, fresh herbs. I added a couple garlic cloves, rosemary, chives and beef broth. Very tasty and my neighbors loved it."
"love love love"
"Great, basic recipe! It is rather bland in terms of seasonings, but you can easily add more spices to your liking. It could also easily be made in a crock pot."