Favorite Hamburger Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).
Reviews for Favorite Hamburger Stew
Sort By :
"We loved this dish! Next time I make this, I will definitely add green beans and corn!"
"Wonderfully delicious recipe I wouldn't change a thing"
"There is nothing I would change on this recipe. Best stew ever and my family LOVED it!"
"Came out great! I used beef stew meat, (had it in the freezer) instead of the ground meat, added 1 cup of beef bouillon, and some minced garlic. Also, I used 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes and 1 can plain diced tomatoes since I had those on hand instead of the stewed tomatoes.I had actually cut the recipe in half. Other than these additions I followed the recipe."
"Our family loves Hamburger Stew! I also add green beans, corn, and okra the last 20 to 30 minutes."