- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Place half of the spaghetti mixture in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Baked Spaghetti
"I am planning to make this and will try substituting cream cheese for the cottage cheese. Some of my family like extra sauce, so I always have extra sauce heated up and available for those that want to add more sauce to their spaghetti serving. Sounds so good it's making my mouth water...."
"Good and easy"
"Way too dry. Just a clump of cheesy pasta. I will never make this again."
"A family Favorite! I cooked the meat when I brought it home from the store and froze it.Then a few days later when I was ready to try the recipe it was so easy and quick to assemble. I will use extra sauce and cheese next time and invite a few friends over to share the meal with!"
"TastyTOM you're confusing weights and volumes. 16 oz of cottage cheese is more compact volume-wise than 16 oz of shredded mozzarella.Hope that helps.Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine"
"Hi Louise Miller. Please explain how 2 cups gives you 16 ounces of cottage cheese but 4 cups gives you 16 ounces of mozzarella cheese. I mean, isn't 4 cups twice the amount of 2 cups? What am I not understanding? Thank you."
"This was just ok. I made as directed and it came out too dry for my taste. If I made it again I would add more sauce and see if that helps but as written this isn't something my family loved."
"For MtsBigMike, using melted butter mixed with the Parmesan cheese and eggs to coat the spaghetti will keep it coated with just enough oil that it doesn't absorb all the moisture from the spaghetti sauce and dry out while baking."
"I used ground Italian sausage instead of beef. This recipe definitely needs more sauce. I felt I could have made lasagne in the same amount of time this took to prepare. I also used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't make it again...too dry ...might be a good idea when some reviewer said only use 12 oz of spaghetti"
"I tried this recipe several months ago and I make it often now.... it's always a hit. I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese so I substituted with Ricotta Cheese..... and it is just amazing :)"