Farmer's Strata Recipe
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup cubed cooked potatoes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; add ham and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes and cheese. Top with all of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers of bread, potatoes and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add the milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over all. Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Farmer's Strata
Sort By :
"You've got to plan ahead for this one, but it's worth the effort. It's a good way to use left over ham or bacon We use it for special occasions.."
"I prepared this delicious dish the night before and baked it before leaving for school. l will certainly make this one again. The crowd loved it."
"I have been making this for years after seeing it in the Taste of Home magazine. It is one of the best breakfast casseroles I have ever eaten!"
"in ONE WORD : YUMMY (My grand child's word)"
"A quick tip for this recipe is to use canned, cubed potatoes that have been well drained. (Each can is about 1 cup) For some reason, they hold their shape and the texture is perfect. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing I would do different. It is delicious. Sometimes I DO add a splash or two of Tobasco sauce, especially if I'm using pepper-jack cheese. YUMMY!!!"