- 2 packages (1/4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the shortening, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir batter vigorously for 25 strokes (dough will be slightly sticky). Spoon into greased muffin cups. Tap pans to settle the batter. Cover and let rise until batter reaches tops of cups, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for English Batter Buns
Sort By :
"Just made these! Very delicious and easy! Now that I made them, I can see that they are a canvas - could sprinkle sea salt on them, add cheese or even make them sweet. They are delicious as they are though! Very easy clean-up!"
"LOVE this recipe! My family has requested this 2x week for the last month. Great texture & taste of old fashioned yeast rolls in less than half the time. You should try this if you haven't been satisfied with rapid/quick rise yeast rolls/bread. This taste like yeast rolls should! We just love 'em."
"Easy cute bread, new family favorite !"
"Very good. I thought they were too yeasty tasting, but my husband and boys loved them! Very easy too."
"Whole family loves these. Even tried making them w/half White Whole Wheat flour and they still had great taste and texture. Comes together very quick and simply."