- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Double-Cheese Macaroni
Sort By :
"We are a family of 6 and this recipe was more than enough. If I make this again, I'm going to cut the ingredients in half. My husband loved it, I liked it, but the kids still like the mac and cheese from the box. Instead of bread crumbs on top of the whole dish, I wanted to try different toppings. So I did 1/3 Ritz crackers and butter, 1/3 bacon bits and the other 1/3 plain. Plain was boring, but the other two were pretty good."
"I made this yesterday. It was super easy and absolutely the most delicious mac and cheese that I have ever tasted. The kids had 3 servings each! I didn't use the topping, it's perfect without it. I also substituted ground black pepper instead of white pepper. I'm going to try adding green chiles to it to give it a little kick. Love, love this recipe!"
"Was very hot and didn't want to have the oven on, so I made this on stove top. Omitted the crumbs on top.i cut the recipe in half. Husband and I both had seconds. Very yummy!"
"Made this for my family (very picky family!) and was given thumbs-up from all :)I did substitute buttermilk for half-and-half as this is what I had in the fridge, and it came out gooey, creamy, and very rich! Definitely will make again, though I will skip the breadcrumb topping as it fell flat in taste and had a weird texture."
"I've tried many Mac n Cheese receipes and this is the family's favorite. I Makethis and break it down into individual portions and freeze it. I can't rave enough on who good it is.JohnLong Island, N.Y."