- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Double-Cheese Macaroni
Sort By :
"This was OK....not like the macaroni and cheese I'm more familiar with that has melted cheese all the way through. I'm not wild about the white sauce used here....too tangy for my taste, with the added cottage cheese, and the flavor of the sharp cheddar cheese is lost. We'll eat it because we don't waste food, but I'll stick with the more traditional....what I consider southern style .......mac and cheese from now on. (The "Triple Cheese Macaroni" recipe here at TOH is terrific!!) I just wanted to find some more recipes for one of my favorite comfort foods that were also wonderful. Disappointing, because I ear-marked several to try, and this was the first one."
"We are a family of 6 and this recipe was more than enough. If I make this again, I'm going to cut the ingredients in half. My husband loved it, I liked it, but the kids still like the mac and cheese from the box. Instead of bread crumbs on top of the whole dish, I wanted to try different toppings. So I did 1/3 Ritz crackers and butter, 1/3 bacon bits and the other 1/3 plain. Plain was boring, but the other two were pretty good."
"I made this yesterday. It was super easy and absolutely the most delicious mac and cheese that I have ever tasted. The kids had 3 servings each! I didn't use the topping, it's perfect without it. I also substituted ground black pepper instead of white pepper. I'm going to try adding green chiles to it to give it a little kick. Love, love this recipe!"
"Was very hot and didn't want to have the oven on, so I made this on stove top. Omitted the crumbs on top.i cut the recipe in half. Husband and I both had seconds. Very yummy!"
"Made this for my family (very picky family!) and was given thumbs-up from all :)I did substitute buttermilk for half-and-half as this is what I had in the fridge, and it came out gooey, creamy, and very rich! Definitely will make again, though I will skip the breadcrumb topping as it fell flat in taste and had a weird texture."