Double-Cheese Macaroni Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Double-Cheese Macaroni(7)
Sort By :
I first made this in March of 2009. I had been trying to find a macaroni and cheese that my family liked, but recipe after recipe left us disappointed. One main discovery was that we really disliked macaroni and cheese made with eggs! This is tried and true, our treasured favorite! It has become a staple on the major holidays. The only thing we changed was that we don't make the topping. Instead, our family likes it better when I simply spray a sheet of foil with cooking spray and cover the dish and cook it that way.
I made this dish tonight and sorry to say I will never make it again. I followed the directions perfectly however there seemed to be way to much sauce to mac ratio. The taste is very bland so I added crispy bacon on top for a bit more flavor still didn't save this monster. I am just sorry I wasted all that money,time and ingredients on something that will be trash.
I've been making this since it was published back in 2011 and everyone I make this for absolutely raves. And I'm constantly asked for the recipe by many!
This is a keeper. My husband who grew up on macaroni pie likes this version even better!
This mac and cheese is so yummy. Everyone in my family loves it. The recipe does make a lot and it's really filling. This is great for a crowd, or in my case, a really large family.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >