- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Double-Cheese Macaroni
Sort By :
"I've tried many Mac n Cheese receipes and this is the family's favorite. I Makethis and break it down into individual portions and freeze it. I can't rave enough on who good it is.JohnLong Island, N.Y."
"Great recipe! I found this recipe in the magazine a few years back and it has become a family favorite. I make it now for every holiday occasion and pot lucks."
"Very easy to prepare and delicious! We added a bit more salt and fresh ground black pepper."
"Simple and fantastic."
"We all loved it. No more searching for the perfect macaroni and cheese recipe for me as this is it! Did not make the topping."