Double-Cheese Macaroni Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Double-Cheese Macaroni
Sort By :
"Great recipe! I found this recipe in the magazine a few years back and it has become a family favorite. I make it now for every holiday occasion and pot lucks."
"Very easy to prepare and delicious! We added a bit more salt and fresh ground black pepper."
"Simple and fantastic."
"We all loved it. No more searching for the perfect macaroni and cheese recipe for me as this is it! Did not make the topping."
"I first made this in March of 2009. I had been trying to find a macaroni and cheese that my family liked, but recipe after recipe left us disappointed. One main discovery was that we really disliked macaroni and cheese made with eggs! This is tried and true, our treasured favorite! It has become a staple on the major holidays. The only thing we changed was that we don't make the topping. Instead, our family likes it better when I simply spray a sheet of foil with cooking spray and cover the dish and cook it that way."