- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, coconut milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch and salt until blended. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 2 minutes longer, whisking vigorously. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Immediately transfer to crust.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Yield: 10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Dar's Coconut Cream Pie
"I have made this pie twice now. The family loves it, and it is a new "keeper". Just sweet enough without being overdone."
"I have made this wonderfully sweet, coconutty pie twice and both times it was perfect. It is not eggy tasting, only creamy and sweet and well, coconutty! It calls for 2 cups coconut milk, and the cans I found were only 13.5 ounces, so I only used one can of coconut milk and the consistency came out fine. I will make this recipe again!"
"This is the only coconut pie recipe EVERYONEloves"
"Wow this was amazing"