You don't need to worry about having enough pan drippings from your turkey to make this gravy from our Test Kitchen. Prepare it anytime you serve mashed potatoes.
Recommended: 12 Favorite Thanksgiving Gravy Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- In the same pan, melt remaining butter over medium-low heat. Combine the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; whisk into butter until smooth. Gradually add buttermilk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in onion. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Originally published as Creamy Onion Gravy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p125
Reviews forCreamy Onion Gravy
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2011
"I've made this a bunch of times already. Love it! So creamy and oniony. I usually serve it with sausage and perogies."