You don't need to worry about having enough pan drippings from your turkey to make this gravy from our Test Kitchen. Prepare it anytime you serve mashed potatoes.
Recommended: 12 Favorite Thanksgiving Gravy Recipes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- In the same pan, melt remaining butter over medium-low heat. Combine the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; whisk into butter until smooth. Gradually add buttermilk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in onion. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Originally published as Creamy Onion Gravy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p125
Reviews for Creamy Onion Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2011
"I've made this a bunch of times already. Love it! So creamy and oniony. I usually serve it with sausage and perogies."