- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, orange juice and peel; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Cranberry Nut Bread
"Really enjoy this recipe! Have made 4 loaves recently, and it is gobbled up in no time! Love the amount of cranberries and the flavor of the orange. Didn't change a thing other than use a 9 " loaf pan. Will try muffins with this recipe next""
"Lovely recipe!! But had to use 9x5 pan. Too much batter for a smaller one."
"This is delicious. It has just the right amount of tartness which makes cranberry bread so tasty. It's the perfect holiday bread."
"I made this bread and rounded the cranberry measurement. It was awesome. Nice and tart. Hey, Dawn, my birthday is 3/24 also. Thanks for a great recipe."
"I first made this recipe when it was first published and I knew it was a winner when I got all those compliments! This is definitely a family and friends favorite!"
"Truly, this bread deserves at least **10** stars. It is the only cranberry bread I've made for years, and will use exclusively. Thank you, Dawn, for this superior bread!!!"
"Actually, What I've now done since I'd submitted this recipe back in 1997, I've baked the bread in two 7-1/2x3-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans 0R you can use about four 5x3" miniature loaf pans, greased and floured! I baked the 7" loaves for at least 55 to 60 minutes & the miniature loaves for about 45 to 50 minutes at 350 o F. or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted near the center! Each year, I bake this bread for our neighbors for the Christmas holiday season and they look forward to receiving it! I'd even baked about four loaves for a family holiday brunch on New year's Day 2012 & a family birthday brunch on 3/24/12 at our home! Another tip I have: Instead of using the bottled or grated orange peel, I started using 1 Tbsp. of ground Navel orange and the flavor of the orange in the loaf REALLY comes out!"
"I am very pleased that the readers who tried my recipe enjoyed it so much!"