Spicy Cranberry Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 loaves each)
- 2-1/2 cups halved fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups cranberries, sugar and orange zest. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the cranberries are softened. Remove from the heat; stir in the remaining berries and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves. Combine the eggs, sour cream and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in cranberries and pecans.
- Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 126 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 3, 2019
Very good and moist. The cranberries and juices add plenty of moisture. Only thing I did different was add a little more zest and omit half the nuts, ( personal preference}. Took to work and everyone commented on how great it was. Thanks Maxine.
Jul 24, 2018
Delicious! Took it to a quilt class and everyone loved it. A huge hit!
Jan 18, 2010
Maxine Smith if you get a chance try my Mushroom Spanish Rice receipe I had printed. And then rate it, let me know how you like it. OK Thanks Stephanie
Jan 18, 2010
I read a review from Nov. 09,2009 paininthebut. This woman probably didn't bother to try this receipe. I thought the same thing about some liquid being missing from this receipe. But the cranberries, sugar and orange peel does make a great tasting liquid. I would recommend this receipe to anyone. Maxine Smith you did a great job with this nut bread. It very moist and very flavorful, and it's not a pain in the butt to make, it's very simple. Stephanie Papachristos Manchester, NH
Nov 9, 2009
How can you boil cranberries, sugar and orange peel ? I think some liquid has to be missing from this recipe.