- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and orange peel until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate leftovers.
Freeze option: Wrap cooled cake layers in plastic wrap, then cover securely in foil; freeze. To use, thaw cakes before unwrapping. Assemble as directed. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cranberry Layer Cake
Sort By :
"This cake sounds pretty good, but 'what's-up' with having to bake it in 2 pans? Can you possibly bake it in one pan?"
"This cake is absolutely, bar none, one of the best I have ever eaten. My family loves it so much, they rarely ask for any other cake. It is easy to prepare, delicious and makes a beautiful presentation."
"Great cake...I have made this cake twice. It is better without the nuts in the cake. I also increased the oil to 1/2 cup the first time I made it. The second time I used a stick of melted butter, which we like better."