- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and orange peel until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cranberry Layer Cake
Sort By :
"Great cake...I have made this cake twice. It is better without the nuts in the cake. I also increased the oil to 1/2 cup the first time I made it. The second time I used a stick of melted butter, which we like better."
"I made this cake today for thanksgiving. Yum!! ??"
"This cake was delicious and pretty simple to make. I didn't change anything except made it in a 9x13 pan my layer cake never turn out like the pictures. definitely a keeper"
"I made this for my senior coffee club and everyone loved it! I made it in a 9x13 pan because it was easier to tote. The frosting was great. I used low fat cream cheese and did not add as much powdered sugar as it calls for. I am going to make it again for my bunco group."