- 12 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 6 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 2 cans (8-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the squash, corn, cream, parsley, salt, pepper and bacon. Cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Corn and Squash Soup
"This soup is delicious although I made a few changes. I didn't use any bacon at all. I simply sauteed a red onion with a little grapeseed oil then added 4 chopped up yellow squash. That cooked for some minutes. Then I added 4 fresh ears of corn from the cob. Next I added a cup and a half of heavy cream and let that cook for a few minutes. I put the ingredients into the blender until smooth, then poured it back into the skillet to heat through. Add salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Voila, very tasty."
"Very good soup. Will make again. Didn't change a thing."
"Wow, this was so good. I was a little leery of the squash/corn combo but it was fantastic. I didn't really like it with the sour cream."
"Delicious and filling soup. The dollop of sour cream on top is a nice addition."
"Delicious and filling soup. The dollop of sour cream on top is a nice garnish."
"Made this last night and it was so delicious! I only used one cup of buttermilk. This will become a staple fall soup in our house."
"I've made this soup once and it was so good. My husband and kids loved it. Will make it again soon."
"I like to make all kinds of soup,but my nephew said this is the best. He wants me to make a double batch for hunting camp."
"I change this recipe so my husband who is not a big soup eater would try it. I used left over turnip instead of squash. Turnip and cream corn are his two favourite veg. He loved it. Finally found a soup he would eat. It was a very filling meal."
"The taste is fantastic. Now that I've said that, I have to say that this recipe needs some alteration unless you want something the texture of baby food (my 7 month old loved it!) Next time I make this I will at least double the amount of broth, and drop the amount of squash to 4 cups. I don't think that will make my husband like it any better, but it will make it be soup and my older girls might be more interested in it."