Anti-Vampire Potion (Butternut Squash & Garlic Soup)
I remember making this velvety soup with my mom. Butternut squash gives it warm color, and garlic wards off any unfriendly spirits. Try using whipping cream for an extra smooth texture. —Steven Eder, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash, cut in 1-in. cubes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cooked bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (5.2 ounces) Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Gournay Cheese, crumbled
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add cinnamon and nutmeg; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in squash and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until squash is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or pulse soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pan; add half-and-half cream and salt and pepper to taste. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve immediately with bacon and crumbled cheese.
Editor’s Note: Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Gournay Cheese has a firmer texture than the spreadable cheese product.