- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 10 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cashews
- In a blender, combine the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, onion and salt. Cover and process until blended. With blender running, gradually add oil. Add poppy seeds and blend.
- In a salad bowl, combine the romaine, cheese, apple, pear and cranberries. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Add cashews; toss to coat. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning Festive Tossed Salad
Sort By :
"Odd combo of ingredients but absolutely fantastic tasting and looking! Our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners must-have-on-the-table salad!"
"This was a hit with a huge crowd."
"I decreased the sugar to about 2 tablespoons. I omitted the cheese and the poppyseeds. Still pretty good and better for you. I would not recommend decreasing the salt. I think it would have been amazing with candied pecans!"
"I made this for Thanksgiving dinner since my only job was to bring the salad. The vinagrette was really good, it smelled a little odd at first (most do I think) but I taste-tested it on a small portion of salad and it was really good! Don't be afraid to make big chunks of apple and pear either - I will make bigger chunks next time I make this. This salad is definetly for the occasion but you are able to make twice as much vinagrette then you will probably need so you can refrigerate for later on. People really liked this and commented on how good and different it was - even someone who doesn't like vinagrettes said it was very sweet and really liked it !"
"A must at our Thanksgiving table! The perfect blend of sweet and salty. Just delicious!"