Festive Tossed Salad with Walnuts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, cook and stir walnuts in butter until toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the sugar, pepper and salt.
- In a salad bowl, toss the greens, cranberries, cheese and walnuts.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- Drizzle desired amount over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftover dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 209 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 3, 2018
Loved this dressing! I think I could have used a little less butter to toast the walnuts.
Feb 27, 2014
This was delightful. Sever it at a hospitality room. They thought it was wonderful.
Nov 20, 2011
Whoops - meant to add that I have used blue cheese in place of the feta and it was equally as good! Also, do not skip toasting the walnuts - this is what makes this recipe so good.
Nov 20, 2011
I wish I could give this recipe 6 stars - it is HANDS DOWN the best salad recipe I have ever made. I have lost track of the amount of times I have been asked for the recipe.
Feb 16, 2011
My Christmas menu also includes this salad. It is the most requested item! I make a double batch and there is NEVER any left.
Nov 9, 2010
This is my husband most favorite salad. He is always asking for it. I double the dressing recipe. He can't get enough of it. Thanks for such a good recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.