- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold lard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 11-13 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 6-8 minutes longer or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a microwave, melt chocolates in a large bowl; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Whisk in milk, egg yolks and vanilla; stir in pecans. Pour into crust. Bake 16-19 minutes or until set. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads 160°, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla; cool 10 minutes.
- Pour over filling; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate 4 hours or until cold. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut-Pecan German Chocolate Pie
Sort By :
"If you love fudge.....this is for you!! My niece made for Thanksgiving and it was a nice addition to traditional pumpkin. It is very RICH but very good!!"
"I just made this pie for Thanksgiving and got worried after reading others reviews about it being too sweet, etc. It was AMAZING! I followed the recipe to the "t" including the homemade crust. There are many more steps then I was used to but it turned out perfect. My family said it tasted like it came from a restaurant. We were eating it at breakfast the next morning with coffee lol. The only thing some of the family added was whipped cream while eating.It was not too sweet. I wonder if some reviewers had not used the right chocolates. Highly recommend this pie. It is a special occasion desert and was great at room temp and cold.! You will not be disappointed."
"The pie is really delicious! However, I agree that you must serve in very small slices. It is soooo rich that you seriously can't eat much of it. Makes it serve more people though! yay"
"This is amazing! I recommend serving in small slices because it is so rich. My mother wanted me to make this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit."
"Turned out fantastic. People were raving over it."