- 4 bacon strips, cut up
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 hard-cooked large egg, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- To the hot drippings, add the vinegar, water, onions, sugar, salt and pepper, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl; immediately pour dressing over and toss lightly. Top with egg. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Classic Wilted Lettuce Salad
"Grew up eating very similar but you forgot to throw in some slice and fried new potatoes."
"Very easy & delicious recipe! I added an additional hard boiled egg as we like them."
"And what are we supposed to do with the bacon? Logically, I can figure it out, but you didn't include it in your instructions."
"Very good for a summer or hot day. Last a while ,for one person. My grandmother has made this for me when I was a kid."