Classic Wilted Lettuce Salad Recipe
"WHEN we were kids, my sister and I would prepare the freshly picked lettuce for this salad, rinsing it several times and carefully drying it. As we did so, we quibbled about the portions we'd each have. Somehow, it seems she always managed to get more!"
- 4 bacon strips, cut up
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- To the hot drippings, add the vinegar, water, onions, sugar, salt and pepper, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Place lettuce in a salad bowl; immediately pour dressing over and toss lightly. Top with egg. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Wilted Lettuce in Reminisce Extra April 1993, p47
Reviews for Classic Wilted Lettuce Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2014
"And what are we supposed to do with the bacon? Logically, I can figure it out, but you didn't include it in your instructions."
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2014
"Very good for a summer or hot day. Last a while ,for one person. My grandmother has made this for me when I was a kid."