Classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 9-in.-square baking pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake(2)
Sort By :
I found this recipe in my new edition of Taste of Home Baking recipe book! I noticed that there was a variation for Cranberry Orange Upside Down Cake & citrus fruit was the Ingredient challenge for this week for Cook's Corner Forum! I prepared this cake, substituting 1 cup frozen WHOLE cranberries and 3/4 cup ground Navel orange & 1/3 cup orange juice for the pineapple juice! I omitted the pineapple, pecans and cherries! I used the 1/3 cup melted butter, the 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, the 3 eggs, separated, the sugar & substituted 1 tsp. orange extract for the vanilla extract! Of course, I kept the flour, salt and baking powder the same! I used my egg beater to beat the egg whites in a bowl, then folded the egg whites into batter! I used this upside-down cake pan I'd purchased a while back from the Country Store! I spread the ground orange and whole cranberries over the butter/brown sugar mixture in the pan. I had to bake the cake 45 minutes at 375o F. I'd tested it at 35 minutes and it wasn't done-cake tester came out gooey! I ran a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen cake-I inverted the cake onto a waxed-paper covered clean baking sheet. Then I transferred the cake to a plate. This cake came out looking beautiful! I was glad for this variation of Cranberry-Orange Upside-Down Cake! Bernardine Melton, thank you for sharing this recipe for the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake! I gave the cake to my Mom to freeze for when we have company or if friends drop in! delowenstein
I didn't have pecans or cherries. Only had pineapple chunks so used that instead of slices. A bit too sweet but I don't mind that. On the other hand, the beating of the egg whites made the cake portion incredible - almost like an angel food cake. Loved this!! light and fluffy. Next time I will just reduce the brown sugar to 1/2 cup.