- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 9-in.-square baking pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forClassic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
"Good but topping a little sweet. Hubby loved it. Made without pecans."
"Light and fluffy! I made this without the pecans and it was still delicious. I also used an 8" square pan, since I didn't have a 9 inch one, and I was still able to fit 9 pineapple slices on the bottom. I just had to bake it for about 15 minutes longer for the center to set."
"made as is and it was very good. You can almost leave the pecans off, as we didn't think it added much to it."
"My husband is a HUGE fan of pineapple up-down cakes and this his is favorite!! Mine too.."
"Great show-off dessert."
"I am this with peaches. Everyone loved it."
"Very good recipe! For those who don't eat the cherries like us, place a pecan half in place of the cherry and walnuts work just as well too. Thanks for sharing!"
"This is the recipe my Grandmother gave me and it's always been my family's favorite."
"I would like to know any changes for High Altitude? Please."
"My husband asked for an upside down cake, and I found this recipe to be the one he cannot get enough of! It's a winner!"