- 3-1/2 cups peeled chopped tomatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with chips. Yield: 4 cups.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Chunky Tomato Salsa
Sort By :
"I always receive RAVE reviews on this salsa. My boss told me this salsa is the best he's *ever* eaten - better than the salsa at a major, well-known restaurant chain! I sized the recipe up by 4x and it's still not enough (thirteen, 2.5-cup jars). My family and friends have eaten through 90% of my stock in 3 months and the requests keep coming!"
"Great recipe. Quick and easy to make. I also added chopped fresh cilantro but simmered the salsa for 15 to 20 minutes. The flavor is perfect to our taste. Definitely a keeper."
"Awesome recipe! Made it for poker night and everyone loved it. I couldn't find a serrano pepper at our local store (stationed overseas) I used a habanero pepper which added a red habanero pepper that added a very nice spice. If you don't like too spicy I don't recommend this. Will be making a double batch next time."
"Very good! Better than store bought! I'd do it again."
"I left out the Serrano pepper and cumin and added 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro. It was awesome!"