- 3-1/2 cups peeled chopped tomatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with chips. Yield: 4 cups.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Chunky Tomato Salsa
"Just took it off the heat and couldn't help tasting a bit of it, and it was GREAT! Can't wait to try it with chips when it cools"
"First time making salsa and it turned out GREAT!!! Did add cilantro as suggested by some other reviewers, but turned out wonderful. Definitely making again!!"
"Thank you so much for this recipe! I was looking everywhere for my favorite Newman's Own salsa dupe and hope already abandoned me when I came across this one! This is the one! My search is over!"
"I always receive RAVE reviews on this salsa. My boss told me this salsa is the best he's *ever* eaten - better than the salsa at a major, well-known restaurant chain! I sized the recipe up by 4x and it's still not enough (thirteen, 2.5-cup jars). My family and friends have eaten through 90% of my stock in 3 months and the requests keep coming!"
"Awesome recipe! Made it for poker night and everyone loved it. I couldn't find a serrano pepper at our local store (stationed overseas) I used a habanero pepper which added a red habanero pepper that added a very nice spice. If you don't like too spicy I don't recommend this. Will be making a double batch next time."
"Very good! Better than store bought! I'd do it again."
"I left out the Serrano pepper and cumin and added 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro. It was awesome!"
"This was awesome!"
"My favorite salsa!"