- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups halved green grapes
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries, drained and sliced
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine egg yolks, water, vinegar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat and cool; fold in whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Christmas Fruit Salad
"Do not bother making this the recipe is wrong calls for white vinegar which I think it should be lemon juice and it doesn't thicken up what a waste of my money"
"Okay - not worth the time it takes to make"
"This turned out to be delicious and received raves, but I had to add about 1/2 c. sugar to it after mixing it all together. The recipe calls for white vinegar, and all I had was cider vinegar, so I used that. Maybe that was why it just wasn't sweet enough. But no problem.....the added sugar cut the vinegar that was over-powering everything and made it taste good Everyone loved it."
"I first made this recipe for my mother and dads 50th anniversary. Big hit! Been making it for parties ever since."
"Very good, and I added green, red, yellow, jello!"
"Very good, and I added green, red, yellow, jellow!"
"Everyone at work loved this fruit salad!"
"I make this every Christmas. I particulary love it because it can be made the night before and it keeps very well. The added bonus is that it is delicious!"
"When I was young, my Mother would make a salad semiliar to this, but she added gumdrops to it. I always had the job of cutting the gumdrops in 1/2 or even 1/4's and cutting the grapes in half and seeding them. That was before seedless grapes were available. She used the large gumdrops, even the black ones (if I didn't eat them first)."