- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Sift flour, baking cocoa, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa powder. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, beat the cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and almond extract, beating until stiff peaks form. Unroll the cake; spread the filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, milk and vanilla until smooth. Frost the cake, using a metal spatula to create a bark-like effect. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Yule Log
Sort By :
"I always enjoy seeing it on the table at my family's annual Christmas Eve dinner, it's delicious!"
"My family loves this cake. It has become a New Year's tradition. It makes a beautiful presentation."
"I followed this recipe exactly as stated, but found the cake to be very dry. Will not make this one again."
"This is a wonderful and very impressive dessert. I did add more almond extract to the filling than the recipe called for. It is very light and visually appealing as I decorated it with a light dusting of powdered sugar and piped red poinsettias and leaves on top. Will make again for sure."
"I loved it!!The cake was moist and light, everybody enjoyed it. Next time I might sprinkle pomegranates over the cream though to give it a bit of crunchy, juicy zest!!!Fabulous!!!"