- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the water, mayonnaise and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into mayonnaise mixture until blended.
- Pour into greased 9-in. square or 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan. Cook and stir brown sugar in butter until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
"This is the recipe that I had passed onto me: I made this version, but tried the coffee instead of the water for a mocha flavor.chocolate Mayonnaise cake2 c. flour1 c. sugar1/4 c. cocoa1 t.baking soda1. t. baking powder1/4 t. salt1 c. Miracle Whip or Hellman's Mayo)1 c. hot water1 t. vanillaFrosting: I double it, they love this creamy, buttery frosting!)3 T.cornstarch1 c. milk1/2 c. butter1/2 c. shortening1 c. sugar1 t. vanillaDirections:Preheat oven to 350.Measure ingredients into the mixing bowl in order given. Mix together well.Spread in a greased 9" x 13" pan. bake 30 - 35 mins.Cool and frost in pan.Pour milk into a saucepan and slowly add the cornstarch a tablespoon at a time over low heat until thickened. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until mixture is cool to touch. Cream butter and sugar .Add a small portion of the cornstarch mixture and beat with a mixer. Slowly add until all is gone and keep beating until icing is thick, and creamy and fairly stiff. Make sure all sugar crystals are dissolved."
"Icing was much too stiff. I had trouble spreading it. The cake was okay but dried out too fast Will likely make again but with a different icing"
"My famly loves this cake its very moist. For added flavor i add bananas"
"This particular recipe is very bland. I also found it very dry, even when removing the cakes early."
"EXCELLENT!! I DO substitute one of the teaspoons of soda for one teaspoon of salt, however, AND I add a dash of sweet Marsala wine, just for the heck of it. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!!"
"I found this to be perfect just the way it is; tastes wonderful and it's super moist. I like it with the frosting or just with a simple whipped cream. It has one down side: it's too delicious to last long!"
"Try replacing the cocoa with hot chocolate mix, but double the amount of cocoa, it makes it really good and a bit sweeter."
"My gramma gave this recipe over 40 yrs ago. I still use it to this day. The mayo takes the place of the eggs and oil. Don't try to double it as it will make the cake real heavy. Love it!"