- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the water, mayonnaise and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into mayonnaise mixture until blended.
- Pour into greased 9-in. square or 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan. Cook and stir brown sugar in butter until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
"I ran across this recipe for a quick snack 4 me fellas,,,,l adjust it a little , I added 11/2 cup of sugar & 4 tbsp of cocoa & caramel glaze no milk or powder sugar poke holes in cake ,,my family love it thanks!"
"Icing was much too stiff. I had trouble spreading it. The cake was okay but dried out too fast Will likely make again but with a different icing"
"My famly loves this cake its very moist. For added flavor i add bananas"
"This particular recipe is very bland. I also found it very dry, even when removing the cakes early."
"EXCELLENT!! I DO substitute one of the teaspoons of soda for one teaspoon of salt, however, AND I add a dash of sweet Marsala wine, just for the heck of it. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!!"
"Did not like this cake at all. ended up throwing it out. The icing was too dry and the cake smelled and tasted strongly of baking soda.....never used so much baking soda for anything I baked before.....recipe typo?"
"I found this to be perfect just the way it is; tastes wonderful and it's super moist. I like it with the frosting or just with a simple whipped cream. It has one down side: it's too delicious to last long!"
"Try replacing the cocoa with hot chocolate mix, but double the amount of cocoa, it makes it really good and a bit sweeter."
"My gramma gave this recipe over 40 yrs ago. I still use it to this day. The mayo takes the place of the eggs and oil. Don't try to double it as it will make the cake real heavy. Love it!"
"Totally Yum just as it is!! But to put this over the top here's what you do. Instead of vanilla in the cake use 1/2 tsp. almond extract. Then add two pinches of salt and 1 tsp of baking powder rather than baking soda. Now for the frosting make sure to use light brown sugar and add in 1 tsp of vanilla. You may need to add an additional tbsp. of powdered sugar. It's beyond amazing. My hubby (not even a chocolate fan) and I had to try really hard not to eat the whole thing in one sitting."