- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the water, mayonnaise and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into mayonnaise mixture until blended.
- Pour into greased 9-in. square or 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan. Cook and stir brown sugar in butter until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Sort By :
"My gramma gave this recipe over 40 yrs ago. I still use it to this day. The mayo takes the place of the eggs and oil. Don't try to double it as it will make the cake real heavy. Love it!"
"Totally Yum just as it is!! But to put this over the top here's what you do. Instead of vanilla in the cake use 1/2 tsp. almond extract. Then add two pinches of salt and 1 tsp of baking powder rather than baking soda. Now for the frosting make sure to use light brown sugar and add in 1 tsp of vanilla. You may need to add an additional tbsp. of powdered sugar. It's beyond amazing. My hubby (not even a chocolate fan) and I had to try really hard not to eat the whole thing in one sitting."
"The icing got very dry.....maybe I should have used more milk? I covered the cake with Cool Whip. Another layer......"
"Love this ! Its just like grandma's"
"My daughter made this recipe for her FACE (home ec) class project. She easily followed the instructions exactly and the frosting. It turned out delicious! She received a perfect score :)"