- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the water, mayonnaise and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into mayonnaise mixture until blended.
- Pour into greased 9-in. square or 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan. Cook and stir brown sugar in butter until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Sort By :
"EXCELLENT!! I DO substitute one of the teaspoons of soda for one teaspoon of salt, however, AND I add a dash of sweet Marsala wine, just for the heck of it. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!!"
"Did not like this cake at all. ended up throwing it out. The icing was too dry and the cake smelled and tasted strongly of baking soda.....never used so much baking soda for anything I baked before.....recipe typo?"
"I found this to be perfect just the way it is; tastes wonderful and it's super moist. I like it with the frosting or just with a simple whipped cream. It has one down side: it's too delicious to last long!"
"Try replacing the cocoa with hot chocolate mix, but double the amount of cocoa, it makes it really good and a bit sweeter."
"My gramma gave this recipe over 40 yrs ago. I still use it to this day. The mayo takes the place of the eggs and oil. Don't try to double it as it will make the cake real heavy. Love it!"