- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-3/4 cups toffee bits, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg; mix well. Stir in almonds and 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Pour milk over crust; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups toffee bits, reserved topping and remaining chocolate chips. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars
"giuffrida, you and nancy are both reading the recipe wrong. It says to put 1-1/2 cups of chocolate chips inside and then it says to set aside 1-1/2 cups of the mixture for topping."
"These bars were so moist and sweet! I love them, keep going back for more! I didnt have any almonds on hand so i used walnuts and pecans and i also baked them for a few minutes less than called for. They turned out perfect :)"
"I love chocolate and love toffee. I couldn't taste either in this recipe except when I ate the toffee bits alone once they fell off the bars. The bars had very little taste of anything, kind of like pie dough. Very disappointing."
"If you read the recipe it says to add 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips to flour, sugar, butter mixture then set aside 1 1/2 cups of the mixture. the other 1/2 cup of chocolate chips goes on top after you have had it in the oven for 10 min."
"This recipe came off the top of a can of sweetened condensed milk. At least, that's where I got the recipe several years ago. They are delicious - and I've never made them with anything other than walnuts. Oh, and to make them even better, use chopped up Symphony with toffee candy bars. I use that instead of chocolate chips. Fantastic!"
"The recipe is NOT wrong. They are telling you to set aside 1 1/2 cups of the crust mixture( flour, brown sugar, chips, etc) for putting on top, not to set aside 1/2 cups of chips. I used pecans and it was fabulous."
"The recipe is not wrong...take it step by step."
"badkitty, Nancy is right. The recipe says to put 1-1/2 cups of choc chips inside & 1-1/2 on top. They made a mistake. If it is calling for 2 cups of choc chips it should read 1 cup to put in the batter & 1 cup for topping."
"The instructions are misleading. If I hadn't read what other people said I would never have gotten this right. Please re-word and clarify that whole 1-1/2 cup thing."
"Ok as far as the whole 1- 1/2 cup issue. It says.... Mix almonds (which is 1 cup) and Chocolate chips (which is 2 cups) together. Then you take half of the mixture(which is 1 1/2 cups) and put it inside mix. Set remaining mixture aside(which is 1 1/2 cups) for the topping. Which would total the 3 cups from the almonds and chocolate chips. This is a very yummy dessert! cant get enough! :)"