- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-3/4 cups toffee bits, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg; mix well. Stir in almonds and 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Pour milk over crust; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups toffee bits, reserved topping and remaining chocolate chips. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Chip Toffee Bars
"giuffrida, you and nancy are both reading the recipe wrong. It says to put 1-1/2 cups of chocolate chips inside and then it says to set aside 1-1/2 cups of the mixture for topping."
"These bars were so moist and sweet! I love them, keep going back for more! I didnt have any almonds on hand so i used walnuts and pecans and i also baked them for a few minutes less than called for. They turned out perfect :)"
"This recipe came off the top of a can of sweetened condensed milk. At least, that's where I got the recipe several years ago. They are delicious - and I've never made them with anything other than walnuts. Oh, and to make them even better, use chopped up Symphony with toffee candy bars. I use that instead of chocolate chips. Fantastic!"
"The recipe is NOT wrong. They are telling you to set aside 1 1/2 cups of the crust mixture( flour, brown sugar, chips, etc) for putting on top, not to set aside 1/2 cups of chips. I used pecans and it was fabulous."
"The recipe is not wrong...take it step by step."
"badkitty, Nancy is right. The recipe says to put 1-1/2 cups of choc chips inside & 1-1/2 on top. They made a mistake. If it is calling for 2 cups of choc chips it should read 1 cup to put in the batter & 1 cup for topping."
"The instructions are misleading. If I hadn't read what other people said I would never have gotten this right. Please re-word and clarify that whole 1-1/2 cup thing."
"Ok as far as the whole 1- 1/2 cup issue. It says.... Mix almonds (which is 1 cup) and chocolate chips (which is 2 cups) together. Then you take half of the mixture(which is 1 1/2 cups) and put it inside mix. Set remaining mixture aside(which is 1 1/2 cups) for the topping. Which would total the 3 cups from the almonds and chocolate chips. This is a very yummy dessert! cant get enough! :)"