I usually make these only at Christmas time for family and a few friends. It takes time and effort but my family really looks forward to this special treat and both my children have tried to learn how to make them. I originally got the recipe from a friend when I lived in Anchorage, Alaska. Hence the name “Moose Berries.” I was born and raised in southern California but moved to Anchorage, Alaska, after I got married. Lived there for 4 ½ years when we moved to Hawaii. Didn’t like living there so moved back to Alaska after 1 ½ years. Stayed in Alaska another 5 ½ years before getting divorced and coming back to California to be with my folks. I always say that my mother taught me how to read a recipe but my dad taught me how to cook. He encouraged me to experiment and try different combinations. I now cook occasionally for our church as well as keeping up my reputation as an excellent cook with having friends over for dinner. —Melody Daugherty, Long Beach, California
Recommended: Homemade Valentine's Day Candy
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Beat peanut butter, butter and confectioners' sugar until crumbly. Stir in walnuts, coconut, cherries and cherry juice. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of filling into balls. Freeze 10 minutes.
In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off; place on waxed paper. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm.
Freeze option: Freeze candy in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, serve frozen or thaw in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cherry Candies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p128
Reviews for Chocolate Cherry Candies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review