Here in Kern County, there are thousands of acres of almond orchards. I like to experiment with recipes-always trying to come up with something new. This candy is the result of altering, adding and a lot of taste testing (somebody had to do it!). I think it turned out rather well.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 pound dark or milk chocolate candy coating
- In a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, corn syrup and salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-1/2 minutes. Stir in almonds; cook on high for 2-1/2 minutes. Add the butter and vanilla; cook on high for 1 minute.
- Stir in baking soda. As soon as the mixture foams, quickly pour onto a greased metal baking sheet. Cool completely. Break into 2-in. pieces.
- Melt chocolate coating in a microwave. Dip one side of brittle in chocolate and place on waxed paper to harden. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1 pound.
Originally published as Chocolate Almond Brittle in Country December/January 1995, p49
Reviews for Chocolate Almond Brittle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review