- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) V8 juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- Brown beef in oil in batches in a large skillet. Transfer meat and drippings to a 6-qt slow cooker. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Combine the broth, juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, basil, paprika and remaining salt and pepper; pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Chilly Night Beef Stew
Sort By :
This was good, but not great, it took longer to cook than it says in the recipe and it needed more seasoning
Delicious stew and makes a lot! I think next time I will add more meat- 2 1/2 pounds because it could have used more. I followed the recipe omitting the thyme because my husband and I don't care for it in beef dishes. I added in a can of stewed tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces) , chopped up, and a few dashes of Tabasco ,and a pinch of sugar .Also added some minced fresh parsley when I added the cornstarch. I didn't add in all the cornstarch mix because I didn't want it too thick.I t took the full 10 hours to cook in my crock pot, so the cooking time is right on. Very tasty and comforting and it has plenty of yummy gravy perfect for sopping up with biscuits. I will be making this again soon!
I halved the recipe and put in a smaller slow cooker. It was fantastic! I did not put any Worcestershire sauce in as I don't like the flavor. I did, however, add a couple of drops of hot sauce for some zing. Great recipe!