- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup merlot or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with pasta if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Merlot with Mushrooms
Sort By :
"I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken. Very good. No longer than 5 hours on low in my slow cooker. Need the tapioca to make the sauce velvety. Don't leave it out. A keeper."
"Very good! Great deep flavor."
"I really loved this recipe. I covered it with a hearty sprinkle if Italian blend cheese before serving. Served with side of hot pasta and plenty of crusty Italian bread for sopping up sauce and cheese."
"Great! Superb! Amazing! Need I go on. Make it!!"
"In response to the person who could not find instant tapioca - you need to look in with the instant pudding. Kraft makes a Minute Tapioca in small, Jiffy mix type box.To others wondering about substitutes, I found this tidbit on the 'net:INGREDIENT - 1 Tbls. cornstarch,SUBSTITUTE -2 Tbls. flour or 1 1/3 Tbls. quick-cooking tapioca;INGREDIENT -1 Tbls. flour,SUBSTITUTE - 1/2 Tbls. cornstarch or 2 tsp. quick-cooking tapioca;INGREDIENT -1 Tbls. tapioca,SUBSTITUTE -1 1/2 Tbls. all-purpose flourI am cooking up this dish now. Will write further review once it has been served."