Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) plus 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the chicken, 2 cans broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Strain broth, reserving vegetables; skim fat from broth. Return vegetables and broth to the Dutch oven; add the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes and cooked quinoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Stir chicken into chili; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken and Sweet Potato Chili(8)
Sort By :
We REALLY loved this chili. Followed the recipe. It is delicious. Thank you!
I just loved this chili , very, very good
Fabulous soup! Took to a basketball tourney hospitality room and was gone in no time. Is now one of my favorite soups!
Great recipe! I did add more chili powder, some cumin and cayenne more for personal taste than anything. Next time I'm going to try to cut down on prep time by using boneless skinless chicken pre-cut - the broth straining, de-boning, etc. took way too much time out of my day. Definitely would recommend this!
Prep took me much longer than listed; after that, it all went smoothly and enjoyed the blended flavors.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Chili Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Soup >
- Soup Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >