This versatile recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law when I was a new bride 37 years ago. It has been enjoyed by our family and guests and at potluck suppers more times than I can count. Folks love the chicken and noodles in a delectable cheese sauce.—Eleanor McElroy, Kernersville, North Carolina
Recommended: Old-School Recipes That Deserve a Comeback
- 8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the soup, milk and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add chicken, celery, green pepper and pimientos.
- Drain noodles; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken A La King Casserole in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p14
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken A La King Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review