- 1-1/3 cups shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and extract; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the coconut and cherries (dough will be very stiff).
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews for Cherry Macaroons(3)
Sort By :
More of a cookie, however super delicious!
I followed this recipe TO A T, and these cookies, NOT MACAROONS, these cookies came out adequate at best. Do not follow this recipe and expect a luscious cherry flavored macaroon. These instead tasted more like a sugar cookie with a hint of coconut. Bad recipe.
I found this recipe when my son had colic. I had to eliminate dairy from my diet to prevent it, and this was one of the best non-dairy cookie recipes I found.