Stained Glass Cherry Macaroons
Macaroons are a timeless treat and a family favorite in our house. These merry morsels are always the first to disappear from the cookie tray. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 cups sweetened shredded coconut (22 ounces)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green candied cherries
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red candied cherries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. In another bowl, combine coconut, cherries and flour; stir into egg white mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 14-16 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.