Stained Glass Cherry Macaroons
Macaroons are a timeless treat and a family favorite in our house. These merry morsels are always the first to disappear from the cookie tray. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 7 dozen
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 cups sweetened shredded coconut (22 ounces)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green candied cherries
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red candied cherries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. In another bowl, combine coconut, cherries and flour; stir into egg white mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 14-16 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers.
Originally published as Stained Glass Cherry Macaroons in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.