Stained Glass Candy
This recipe gives you two variations—green-colored candy with wintergreen flavor and red-colored candy with cranberry flavor. I like to make both because they look so pretty together on a tray. —Karolin Kershner, Barrington, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min. + cooling
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon wintergreen oil
- 3 to 4 drops green food coloring
- Butter a 15x10x1-in. pan; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in oil and food coloring (keep face away from mixture as oil is very strong). Immediately pour into prepared pan; cool. Break into pieces. Store in airtight containers.
To make Cranberry Stained Glass Candy: Substitute 1 tablespoon cranberry flavoring for the wintergreen oil and 7-8 drops of red food coloring for the green food coloring.